Wednesday, June 5, 2019

'The Rise Of Skywalker' Editor Talks About Her Experience On The Set

0 comments
By: Dominic Jones

Post-production on Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, the conclusion to the Skywalker saga (for now), has been underway for several months now as we inch ever closer to the film's release this December.  The film's editor Maryann Brandon took a short break from cutting the film to take part in a conversation with Pollock Theater Director Matt Ryan following a screening of 2009's Star Trek (which she also edited with director JJ Abrams) at the Carsey-Wolf Center at UC Santa Barbara.


During the conversation, Brandon spoke about her experience on cutting part of The Rise Of Skywalker from the set of the film as they were shooting.  She explained that this was necessary (though she had to convince Abrams of it) because the film finished shooting in February of this year, leaving them only nine months to cut the film (whereas they had over a year to cut The Force Awakens back in 2014-2015).

She spoke about the benefits of working this way, saying, "On this film I got to know the cast really well, I was literally part of the crew so I got to know the gaffers, and obviously I know the DP, I got to know the whole crew.  It was really great for me, it was really great to see. I would be watching what they were shooting.  I was cutting what they shot the day before.  I had the DP right there to ask questions, he could ask me questions. If I needed a shot, or if JJ and I decided we needed another shot, we would literally set up in the corner and do some green screen shot of something.  Getting to know the cast and having them be comfortable with me, it was a really great way to know what they were going for, without even having a big discussion about it."

Those moments with the cast extended beyond just understanding process and goals for specific scenes.  Having Brandon be on set cutting the film, led to some funny moments with the cast including one particular exchange with Kylo Ren actor Adam Driver.

"There was this great moment where I'm sitting there cutting and I'm in the headphones," she recalled, "and my assistant is walking towards me and she's laughing, laughing, laughing.  And she says turn around, turn around.  I turn around and Kylo Ren in full mask and cape is sitting on an apple box just over me. And he's like, 'Do you mind if I watch?'"

You can watch the full conversation with Brandon below (the Star Wars talk begins around 24:40),

Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker hits theaters on December 20th, 2019.  The film is directed by JJ Abrams, with a script by Abrams and Chris Terio, and stars Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver, John Boyega, Oscar Isaac, Kelly Marie Tran, Mark Hamill, Billy Dee Williams, Keri Russell, Richard E. Grant, Naomi Ackie, Lupita Nyong'o, Domhnall Gleeson, Joonas Suotamo, and Carrie Fisher.

Source: Carsey-Wolf Center

Shout out to @Jid2021 on Twitter for bringing this to our attention! 

Follow The Star Wars Underworld on Twitter @TheSWU for more updates about this story and other breaking Star Wars news.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
This site is not endorsed by Lucasfilm Ltd. or Disney and is intended for entertainment and information purposes only. The official Star Wars site can be found at www.starwars.com. Star Wars, the Star Wars logo, all names and pictures of Star Wars characters, vehicles and any other Star Wars related items are registered trademarks and/or copyrights of Lucasfilm Ltd., or their respective trademark and copyright holders. All original content of this site, both graphical and textual, is the intellectual property of The Star Wars Underworld - unless otherwise indicated.
Site template © 2011 DheTemplate.com. Supported by PsPrint Emeryville and homeinbayarea.com