Monday, June 12, 2017

Colin Trevorrow Gives Another Brief Update on 'Star Wars Episode IX'

0 comments
By: Dominic Jones

Star Wars Episode IX is less than two years away.  Given that Star Wars: Episode VIII The Last Jedi still hasn't hit theaters yet, it's easy to overlook that fact.  One person who, I'm sure, that fact is not lost on, however, is director Colin Trevorrow.  Trevorrow will directing the final installment of the sequel trilogy, taking over from his predecessors JJ Abrams (The Force Awakens) and Rian Johnson (The Last Jedi).


Trevorrow is currently promoting the release of his upcoming movie The Book of Henry and, of course, everyone is asking him about Star Wars.  In an interview with Fandango, Trevorrow gave a brief update on the film.

When discussing the difference between making small, independent films and major blockbuster films, Trevorrow compared Episode IX to his previous films, saying,

"I felt like on Safety Not Guaranteed, because it was kind of disguised as a mumblecore movie, I brought a different kind of sensibility into Jurassic World then I think I will bring into Star Wars: Episode IX The Book of Henry is much more of a rich family drama, which is not dissimilar from Star Wars.

I think having to force myself to confront my own fears as a parent, and really dig into places that I may otherwise not want to dig into and want to look away from. It's where I have to go with [Star Wars] for it to be as emotionally resonate as it has to be. I have to find something deeply personal for myself in what I'm about to do or else it's just going to feel shallow."

He also spoke about what it means to make a movie that will have such a major impact on younger generations and generations to come, saying,

"It's how it was with us [growing up]. Luke Skywalker, Han Solo and Princess Leia were all characters that we were able to identify with in various ways, and especially with the character of Rey and what she means to young girls right now, and the challenges that she's up against. It is extremely crucial that I understand what actual children are feeling about these stories that we're telling them, and I think it's important that I have kids, and if filmmakers don't have kids, they should go talk to them because they don't see things the same way that we did when we were kids. So, yes, I am very dialed in to that because I think it's a requisite of the job."

You can check out the trailer for The Book of Henry, which hits theaters on Friday,


Star Wars Episode IX hits theaters on May 24, 2019.


Follow The Star Wars Underworld on Twitter @TheSWU for more updates about this story and other breaking Star Wars news.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
This site is not endorsed by Lucasfilm Ltd. or Disney and is intended for entertainment and information purposes only. The official Star Wars site can be found at www.starwars.com. Star Wars, the Star Wars logo, all names and pictures of Star Wars characters, vehicles and any other Star Wars related items are registered trademarks and/or copyrights of Lucasfilm Ltd., or their respective trademark and copyright holders. All original content of this site, both graphical and textual, is the intellectual property of The Star Wars Underworld - unless otherwise indicated.
Site template © 2011 DheTemplate.com. Supported by PsPrint Emeryville and homeinbayarea.com