Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Report: Star Wars Timeline System Changing(Updated)

14 comments
By: Benjamin Hart

For years now time in the Galaxy far, far away has been measured using BBY(Before the Battle of Yavin) and ABY(After the Battle of Yavin). As you can tell, this system established Episode IV: A New Hope as year 0 in the Star Wars Galaxy. Now it appears Lucasfilm may be adopting a new, simpler calendar for the Saga.

Lucasfilm story group member, and Keep of the Holocron, Leland Chee has tweeted out what is believed to be the new time measurement system. As you can see in the first tweet, Chee shows the proper placement of all canon films and TV series. The second establishes Episode I: The Phantom Menace as year 0, with everything else following it.



It's also worth noting that the Star Wars Rebels Visual Guide detailed that the planet Lothal, which will be a principal location in the series, has it's own calendar. The Invasion of Naboo is at 3245 LY(Lothal Year), the Battle of Geonosis at 3255 LY, and so on. It appears even individual planets will have their own calendars now.

Personally, I think this makes much more sense. Establishing the the Blockade of Naboo as year 0 and counting up for the rest of the Saga is much easier to understand than the old system. BBY/ABY worked before and during the production of the Prequel Trilogy and The Clone Wars, but now that we have the full picture of the Saga, and we're moving forward into the Sequel Trilogy, this new system is much more practical.

Although this did indeed come from an official source, and Chee is know for sharing vague but fascinating tweets(most notably the Clone Wars chronology earlier this year), we are still left to speculate about this info. Hopefully we will get an official announcement from Lucasfilm in time.

Source: Leland Chee/Twitter

Update: Leland Chee has followed up the earlier tweets with this:
So it appears multiple timelines are still in use, and the BBY/ABY system has not been thrown out. Very interesting...

Update #2: It appears this was all just a misunderstanding.



Follow The Star Wars Underworld on Twitter @TheSWU for more updates about this story and other breaking Star Wars news.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Doesn't this timeline make Luke 14 during A New Hope?

Anonymous said...

Nevermind.... 19 at ANH.

ThaBBallGuy said...

Who cares what they do at this point? Over 20 years of fantastic EU was wiped out with the decision to squeeze fans for every penny. As if keeping this franchise alive before and after the prequels was not enough.
Yea, go ahead and start the counter at TPM, the movie SW fans in general pretend didnt even happen.

Unknown said...

Am I the only one that thinks the clone wars should have lasted more than just 3 years?... it would make more sense

OrbYouth said...

Where does the Christmas special fall in?

Unknown said...

Haven't you learned? That was a botched Imperial propaganda film hastily made in the wake of the Death Star's destruction. We know all Chewbacca's father isn't a dirty old man that looked like it crawled out of someone's nightmares.

Unknown said...

Why? Why can't they leave things as they were .

Unknown said...

Like Kerios, it blows y mind that The Clone Wars only covered a period that lasted 3 years. Anakin aged so much between Attack of the Clones and The Clone Wars TV show. Ahsoka too!

Unknown said...

4 8 15 16 23 42

Jon said...

How is it easier to understand? HOW is BBY/ABY more complicated? What is it about BBY/ABY that seems to confuse you when it was NEVER CONFUSING!?

Every fan has accepted BBY as a standard and it is easy to understand. You must pardon my energetic response. I don't mean to sound hostile. I'm not being hostile, but this is yet another example of fixing something that wasn't broken, fixing something with "to hell with what the fans think". We LIKE BBY/ABY. WE WANT TO KEEP BBY/ABY. Why is that so hard to understand? Why are al the online bloggers and podcasters just kowtowing to every change by Filoni and Chee and others when we were all perfectly happy with the old EU, the old stories, and the old timeline. We are happy with keeping things the way they are. Why are you endorsing this? Fans don't want this. Is it so hard to hold onto a solid tradition in Star Wars fandom? How is it so easy for you to dismiss BBY?

Again, I am not trying to be mean or sarcastic, but the question stands. Are you REALLY satisfied with a new timeline, or are you just being a happy pod zombie with every decision they make?

kenkraly2004 said...

Makes sense to me and not all that surprising

Mike Lynch said...

I think if they were going to change it, the rise of the Empire in Ep. III would have made more sense as year 0. It's far more significant.

Unknown said...

I think the Official Star Wars Timeline is flawed. There should be a longer gap between the events of Episodes 1 & 4 and a longer gap between Eps 3& 4 due to the obvious age of Obiwan in Ep4 (70ish) plus Luke appears to be more like 25 instead of 19 in Ep4. Additionally Vader/Anakin must be 50+ by the time of Ep6.

Anonymous said...

Don't you know? Anakin survived ep. 6.

Post a Comment

 
This site is not endorsed by Lucasfilm Ltd. or Disney and is intended for entertainment and information purposes only. The official Star Wars site can be found at www.starwars.com. Star Wars, the Star Wars logo, all names and pictures of Star Wars characters, vehicles and any other Star Wars related items are registered trademarks and/or copyrights of Lucasfilm Ltd., or their respective trademark and copyright holders. All original content of this site, both graphical and textual, is the intellectual property of The Star Wars Underworld - unless otherwise indicated.
Site template © 2011 DheTemplate.com. Supported by PsPrint Emeryville and homeinbayarea.com