Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Opinion: Clouded Is The Future Of Star Wars In 3D

2 comments
By: Benjamin Hart

Lucasfilm has announced that the 3D re-releases of Episode II Attack of the Clones and Episode III Revenge of the Sith, originally slated for release in October 2013, has been postponed until further notice. The Internet has been buzzing with conversations concerning this revelation. I have Few things to say about it myself:

#1: I appreciate that Lucasfilm is diverting all their energy into one project and trying to make Episode VII the best it can be. Putting "all your Eggs in one basket" is a wise move. I want Episode VII to be mind blowingly awesome as much as the next person, but...

#2: I think it's very unfair for them to promise us that we're getting all six films in 3D, and then indefinitely "Postpone" them out of the blue. I understand a lot has changed behind the scenes, but after all the hype they're just going to pull the rug out from under us? Sure, Episode VII is coming and I'm more excited about that than I EVER was about the 3D re-releases, but I feel robbed of the chance to see the films I already know and love on the big screen. Which leads me to my next point...

#3: Does "Postponed" really mean Postponed? Or are they just letting us down easy? We're only a few years away from Episode VII's release, they don't have much time to work with. If they're shelving the 3D re-releases in order to focus on Episode VII, will it be after 2015 before we see II - VI in 3D? Won't the focus then be on Episode VIII? I've got a bad feeling about this.

And finally...

#4: If you're happy about this, please, don't be. You may have disdain towards the Prequels, you may believe 3D is just a gimmick, you may be just as happy sitting at home with your Blu ray and your big screen TV. But consider all the Parents out there that want to introduce their young Children to the Saga the way they first saw it. Or those of us who we're too young to see the Films in theaters the when they were first released. Heck, maybe some us just enjoy seeing our favorite movies on the big screen, with the added bonus of three dimensions. No matter what your point of view is, this is nothing to be celebrated. I'm not heartbroken over this, but I'm definitely not cheering. 

But that's just my opinion, I would love to hear yours in the comments below.

This article is an opinion piece and represents the views of the writer, and not the entire Star Wars Underworld organization 



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Chris Seekell said...

Post a Comment

 
This site is not endorsed by Lucasfilm Ltd. or Disney and is intended for entertainment and information purposes only. The official Star Wars site can be found at www.starwars.com. Star Wars, the Star Wars logo, all names and pictures of Star Wars characters, vehicles and any other Star Wars related items are registered trademarks and/or copyrights of Lucasfilm Ltd., or their respective trademark and copyright holders. All original content of this site, both graphical and textual, is the intellectual property of The Star Wars Underworld - unless otherwise indicated.
Site template © 2011 DheTemplate.com. Supported by PsPrint Emeryville and homeinbayarea.com